The Building Trades program is an eight credit Cooperative Vocational Education (CVE) program. Students (minimum 16 years old) spend one day per week in class learning the theory essential to building construction and four days per week receiving hands-on instruction in a typical employment situation. Students may experience building construction trades in carpentry, concrete, bricklaying, renovating, heating, plumbing, painting, cabinet-making and other areas that will prepare them for employment, apprenticeship or further education.
Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the worksites.
Students begin by learning conventions and practices of the workplace, developing job search techniques and pre-employment skills, health and safety rules and regulations, the use of hand and power tools and the use of construction equipment and new construction technology.
Prerequisites and Beneficial Skills
- Students must be 16 years old when their classes begin.
- High school students have completed Grade 10.
- Post-secondary students have completed Grade 12.
- Applicants not meeting the entrance requirements may be accepted as mature students. Skills assessment may be required.
- Mathematical aptitude or successful completion of Grade 10 Applied Math is strongly recommended.
- Willingness to work in challenging conditions.
- Good physical health and manual dexterity.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective communication skills.
LRATC will award certificates to students who successfully complete requirements of this eight-credit program.
Apprenticeship and Employment Opportunities
As successful graduates of this program, students will be able to obtain employment based on the strength of their work experience or begin their apprenticeship in one of the construction trades. The program is intended primarily for students who plan to seek employment after completion of the course.
Cooperative Vocational Education (CVE) provides training that ensures a greater chance of employability in a satisfying career with a good future. Graduates have gained employment in many different areas of the building construction trades.
Overview and Fees
$20 (nil for high school students)
NO COST (high school students)
$25 per semester
|Part 1 - 4 credits, Part 2 - 4 credits
$50.00 Workbook fee, $85.00 First Aid Certification fee
|Yes - This is Cooperative Vocational Education experience, students attend classes every Monday and are placed with a contractor for the remainder of the week.
|September and February starts