The hairstyling trade is a billion dollar industry!
The Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre prepares future hairstylists for employment in this expanding industry and provides young, energetic stylists with an abundance of career opportunities.
The LRATC accredited hairstyling program educates and develops skilled hairstylists in a state of the art facility using current techniques, tools and equipment. Experience in barbering, hair coloring, cutting, styling and business skills give graduates the cutting edge needed to work in some of the best salons in Winnipeg and across Canada.
The training at LRATC provides students with many industry opportunities including industry guest speakers, photo shoots, competitions and more!
A rewarding career in the hairstyling industry starts at the Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre!
This program runs for three semesters.
Prerequisites and Beneficial Skills
- High school students have completed Grade 10.
- Post-secondary students have completed Grade 12. Applicants not meeting the entrance requirements may be accepted as mature students. Skills assessment may be required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Creative aptitude and manual dexterity.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Knowledge and practice of basic hygiene.
LRATC will award certificates to students who successfully complete requirements of this twelve-credit program. Students must maintain a minimum accumulative average of 70% and complete all required hours to be eligible to receive a certificate.
Hairstyling is a trade accredited by Apprenticeship Manitoba.
Apprenticeship and Employment Opportunities
The Hairstyling program at LRATC is accredited by Apprenticeship Manitoba under the trade of Hairstylist. To become an apprentice students must:
- successfully complete the Hairstyling program at LRATC (1400 hours)
- maintain an accumulative average of 70% or better in the trade subjects
- obtain a grade of 70% or higher on each component of the in-school practical exam administered by Apprenticeship Manitoba in the final credit of the Hairstyling program
- have a completed Grade 12 high school standing or equivalent
- gain employment under the supervision of a journeyperson Hairstylist and register as apprentices.
During the two-year apprenticeship, a theory exam will be administered by Apprenticeship Manitoba.
Students are eligible to begin a paid apprenticeship by working part-time while enrolled in the Hairstyling program at LRATC.
Students who wish to work in the trade are required to register into an Apprenticeship Agreement with their employer.
The Louis Riel Arts and Technology Centre will accept International Students. All inquiries are handled by the Louis Riel School Division International Student Program (ISP). Please refer to the links below for more information on the possibility of registering and tuition costs.
Tuition and Fees (may be subject to change)
|Application Fee||$20 (n/a for high school students)|
|Tuition||NO COST (high school students)|
$6,600 full program
$2,200 per semester - 3 semesters
|Student Fee||$25 per semester|
|Textbook Fee||$100 (refundable)|
|Credits||Part 1* – four credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.|
Part 2* – four credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.
Part 3* – four credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.
Part 1 is a prerequisite for Part 2.
Part 2 is a prerequisite for Part 3.
|Additional Costs||$160 (approx.) for a hairstyling kit. Students may wish to purchase additional tools to increase their tool inventory.|
$50.00 for uniform
|Internship||Yes - At ATC in a state of the art salon|
|Program Intakes||September and February start|