On Monday, September 12th, 2016, we (myself alongside Harry Bell, Assistant Superintendent Christian Michalik and Secretary-Treasurer Brad Fulton) had an opportunity to take a tour of École Sage Creek School. We were very impressed with the continued progress on the site; a site where many trades are working on a puzzle containing an unbelievable amount of complex layers. Dain, the site superintendent, led the tour and shared a lot of information and gave us many updates. In addition to all of the work going on in the school, the main priority at this time is ensuring that the exterior of the building (walls and roofing) is sealed to ensure that they can work all winter without fighting against the elements of our winters. See below for pictures of our tour.
An outside view of the beautiful "wall of windows" in our Learning Commons.
An view from the inside of the "wall of windows" in our Learning Commons.
An inside view (taken from the Second Floor Learning Commons) of the "wall of windows".
The gymnasium (located in the South Wing) with blue foam sitting on the Gym Stage/Band room.
A view of the Gym Stage/Band room (from the second floor with the gymnasium on the right).
An outside view of the gymnasium.
The Home Economics / Maker Studio area (also located in the South Wing). The garage door opening up to an outside work area is visible on the right.
École Sage Creek School's four "classroom wings" (for our Grade 1-8 students) are located on both floors in the West Wing and both floors in the North Wing. Theses four "classroom wings" are named "Neighbourhoods". Instead of a long narrow hallway, each of the four neighborhoods has a larger/wider "shared area" called a "Neighbourhood Commons". These "Neighbourhood Commons" are collaborative areas where students and teachers from multiple classes could meet to learn and work together. All classrooms face their "Neighbourhood Commons" with a" normal" door; however one of the classrooms in each "Neighbourhood" will also have a large sliding door opening up into it's "Neighbourhood Commons".
This picture was taken from one of our "Neighbourhood Commons" looking into a classroom. You can see the large opening where the sliding door will be installed .
Tubing being installed for the in floor heat in our Kindergarten area (located in the East Wing). The East Wing will also house the daycare.
Main entrance with the gymnasium on the left and the main office on the right.
An unbelievable amount of natural light coming in from several large windows in one classroom.
Windows on two walls of a "corner" classroom.
Inside walls of a classroom being built.
A view of the beautiful brick going up on the West Wing.
As progress continues, we become more and more excited and look forward with great anticipation to the opening of our amazing school. We look forward to working with our students, staff and parents; working together to make École Sage Creek School an amazing place for students to learn. As I recently posted in my blog on our website, in addition to the ongoing construction, some of the next steps will include:
- sharing more transition information with Sage Creek families,
- initiating a process whereby Sage Creek parents wanting to express an exceptional interest in having their child remain in their current school, will be able to formally communicate this request. Careful consideration of several factors (age and needs of the student, school capacity, etc.) related to these exceptional requests will then need to inform our decision,
- initiating the hiring process; as we would like to include our staff in many discussions and decisions as soon as possible,
- continue to investigate the best ways to help Sage Creek residents with childcare, specifically "Before & After" school childcare,
- involving our "Parent Working Committee" in discussions related to our PAC, it's constitution, etc...
- continuing to research vendors related to purchases for library books, textbooks, furniture, etc...
- making some final decisions related to the interior decorating,
- working collaboratively with students, staff and parents to ensure the smoothest transition possible for everyone. We will involve students, staff and parents in a variety of discussions related to the many decisions that need to be made before the school opening,
- assemble our staff on several occasions to discuss the teaching philosophy that will be used at École Sage Creek School,
If you have any questions, please contact me at the board office at (204) 257-7827 at Ext 306 or by email at "firstname.lastname@example.org".