Compulsory Provincial Course List
Most compulsory grade 9, 10, and 11 courses are prerequisites. This means that students who do not complete a compulsory course must repeat this course in summer school to remain on a four year graduation plan.
The following five courses indicate the compulsory courses for Grade 9 students entering Dakota Collegiate: English 10F, Math 10F, Social Studies 10F, Science 10F and Physical Education 10F.
|English 10F ||English 20F |
|Comprehensive 30S||Comprehensive 40S|
Mathematics (At least one choice at each grade level)
|Math 10F ||Essentials 20S||Essentials 30S||Essentials 40S|
|Intro to Applied & PreCal 20S ||Applied 30S||Applied 40S|
|PreCal 30S||PreCal 40S|
|Physical Education 10F||Physical Education 20F||Physical Education 30F||Physical Education 40F|
|||Sports Academy 20F (Basketball, Dance, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Volleyball)||Physical Education Female Fitness 30F||Physical Education Female Fitness 40F|
|||||Physical Education Human Performance 30F||Physical Education Human Performance 40F|
|||||Sports Academy 30F (Basketball, Dance, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Volleyball)||Sports Academy 40F (Basketball, Dance, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Volleyball)|
|||||||Physical Education Community 40F|
|Social Studies 10F||Geography 20F||History 30F||
Additional Grade 12 courses can be taken as electives|
|Science 10F||Science 20F||
Additional Grade 11 & 12 courses can be taken as electives|
- Although not compulsory, additional grade 11 and 12 science courses and additional grade 12 social studies courses are encouraged to be considered as electives.
- Students are encouraged to listen to the math course recommendation made by their math teachers and speak to them if they wish to register for a math course that they have not been recommended.
Elective Course List
The remaining credits that are required for graduation may be chosen from the list of electives. It is important to check to make sure you have passed or will pass any prerequisite courses by the time the new school year begins.
In addition to the Compulsory credits students also need the following:
- Grade 9 students need to choose 2 electives
- Grade 10 students need to choose 3 electives.
- Grade 11 students need to choose 4 electives.
- Grade 12 students need to choose 3 electives, at least two that are the grade 12 level
- It is best for students to take electives that are within their grade level.
- Many students will consider additional Math courses as an elective.
*The following are additional electives which students may take outside of the regular timetable. Because they are outside the timetable, they are in addition to the credits that most students will take in one year. These are usually scheduled at noon or after school. These courses are: Jazz Band, Choral Music, Musical Theatre, Vocal Jazz, Yearbook and Wind Ensemble.