Welcome to the École Van Belleghem Lunch Program. The objective of the lunch program is to provide a safe and pleasant school environment for children staying for lunch. Over the past years, approximately 250 students have been staying for lunch on a regular basis.
As is the case with all schools in the Louis Riel School Division and in most other metro school divisions, the lunch program has become a user pay program. The program will only be collecting the necessary funds to provide supervision to ensure a safe and pleasant environment for children over the lunch hour. The supervision being provided to the children is based on the number of teacher assistants who are to provide the supervision in the classroom over the lunch hour, in the lunchroom and out on the playground. Full fee will be charged to all users, regular or occasional. A letter with information as to the fees is sent to all parents in September.
Our lunch hour is from 11:15 to 12:10. Students in grades 1-7 have lunch in their classrooms. Adult supervision is provided both inside the classroom and outside on the playground during the lunch hour. In case of emergency, a teacher will be on call.
The school board provides accommodation for students during lunch hour at school with the understanding that this is a privilege and responsible student behaviour must accompany this privilege.
LUNCH HOUR RULES
Students must abide by lunchroom rules and school rules throughout the lunch hour.
- Speak. Don't shout.
- Stay seated.
- Raise your hand to request assistance or permission to leave the room.
- Put all your garbage into the receptacle.
- Stop talking and listen to the supervisor when she raises her hand or blinds the lights.
- Students must stay on school grounds. Going to Mac's or any other store is not allowed.
- Because of past experiences, and with the agreement of the Parent Advisory Council, we cannot accept notes that allow students in grades kindergarten to grade 6 to go to McDonald's, Burger King, etc., unless the student is being accompanied by a parent. Grade 7 students who have a signed permission form will be given permission to leave the school grounds. Grade 7 students are expected to be respectful in the community while they are away during the lunch period. If there are any concerns brought to the administration's attention, parents will be contacted and the appropriate follow-up will be taken.
Failure to abide by lunch hour rules can result in a suspension from regular lunchtime accommodation. Repeated problems can result in temporary or permanent withdrawal of the privilege. Parents will be notified and involved prior to any disciplinary action regarding possible suspension of the lunch privilege.
Students are dismissed from their classroom after 20 minutes. They then have ten minutes to dress and get ready for outdoor recess. Different classes are invited to participate in indoor games in the gym or music room from 11:45 to 12:10, with a schedule circulated to the classes.
Please note that for students taking lunch at school, white milk or chocolate milk may be purchased for 1.00$. We also offer a Beverage Prepayment Plan. Students may buy a punch card for $20.00 servings of milk.
N.B.: We cannot be responsible for lost cards. The child's name and room number must be written on the card.
Peanut/Nut safe school
N.B.: Please keep in mind that École Van Belleghem is a peanut/nut safe school when planning your child's lunch. DUE TO LIFE THREATENING ALLERGIES, please do not send food items that contains peanuts/nuts, nut derivatives or foods containing traces of nuts.