The hairstyling trade is a billion dollar industry!
The Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre prepares future hairstylists for employment in this expanding industry and provides young, energetic stylists with an abundance of career opportunities.
The ATC accredited hairstyling program educates and develops skilled hairstylists in a state of the art facility using current techniques, tools and equipment. Experience in barbering, hair coloring, cutting, styling and business skills give graduates the cutting edge needed to work in some of the best salons in Winnipeg and across Canada.
The training at ATC provides students with many industry opportunities including industry guest speakers, photo shoots, competitions and more!
A rewarding career in the hairstyling industry starts at the Louis Riel Arts & Technology Centre!
Prerequisites and Beneficial Skills
- High school students have completed Grade 10.
- Post-secondary students have completed Grade 12. Applicants not meeting the entrance requirements may be accepted as mature students. Skills assessment may be required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Creative aptitude and manual dexterity.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Knowledge and practice of basic hygiene.
ATC will award certificates to students who successfully complete requirements of this twelve-credit program. Students must maintain a minimum accumulative average of 70% and complete all required hours to be eligible to receive a certificate.
Hairstyling is a trade accredited by Apprenticeship Manitoba.
Apprenticeship and Employment Opportunities
The Hairstyling program at ATC is accredited by Apprenticeship Manitoba under the trade of
Hairstylist. To become an apprentice students must:
- successfully complete the Hairstyling program at ATC (1400 hours)
- maintain an accumulative average of 70% or better in the trade subjects
- obtain a grade of 70% or higher on each component of the in-school practical exam administered by Apprenticeship Manitoba in the final credit of the Hairstyling program
- have a completed Grade 12 high school standing or equivalent
- gain employment under the supervision of a journeyperson Hairstylist and register as apprentices.
During the two-year apprenticeship, a theory exam will be administered by Apprenticeship Manitoba.
Students are eligible to begin a paid apprenticeship by working part-time while enrolled in the Hairstyling program at ATC.
Students who wish to work in the trade are required to register into an Apprenticeship Agreement with their employer.
Tuition and Fees (may be subject to change)
|Application Fee||$20 (n/a for high school students) |
|Tuition||NO COST (high school students)
$4950 full program
|Student Fee||$25 per semester |
|Textbook Fee||$100 (refundable)|
|Credits||Part 1* – five credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.|
Part 2* – five credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.
Part 1 is a prerequisite for Part 2.
Part 3* – two credits, offered in Semesters 1 & 2.
Part 2 is a prerequisite for Part 3.
|Additional Costs||$125 (approx.) for a hairstyling kit. Students may wish to purchase additional tools to increase their tool inventory.|
$50.00 for uniform
|Work Experience||Yes - At ATC in a state of the art salon|
|Program Intakes||September and February start|
Tuition is currently under review and will be assessed at time of registration.