LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! This course provides students with all three. Students get behind the scenes to discover and learn about the production and transmission of video and audio programming for a variety of media, including radio, television and the Internet.
Students will learn both pre and post production, producing and editing their short films, documentaries, newscasts, news stories, and commercials. Students will be exposed to broadcast theory, which they will put into practice in all areas of pre-production, production and post-production. Graduates of the program will be equipped with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to find entry-level employment in the broadcasting industry as general operators, television assistants, camera operators, and editors.
What makes a good Broadcast Journalist?
- Communicates Well (able to get their ideas across verbally/visually)
- Good Investigative Skills
- Good Personality
- Technical Aptitude
- Able to Handle Pressure
- Good Graphics/Animation Skills
- Team Player
- Highly Efficient
- High Level of Accuracy
Today's Broadcast Media Specialists are hardworking, look to get a story, and get it right. They should be willing to work long hours if needed, and be committed to life-long learning.
Prerequisites and Beneficial Skills
- High school students have completed Grade 10.
- Post-secondary students have completed Grade 12.
- Applicants not meeting the entrance requirements may be accepted as mature students. Skills assessment may be required.
- Mathematical aptitude or successful completion of Grade 10 Applied Math is strongly recommended.
- Willingness to work in challenging conditions.
- Good physical health and manual dexterity.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective communication skills.
ATC will award certificates to students who successfully complete requirements of this eight-credit program.
The Louis Riel Arts and Technology Centre will accept International Students. All inquiries are handled by the Louis Riel School Division International Student Program (ISP). Please refer to the links below for more information on the possibility of registering and tuition costs.
International Student Program
International Student Tuition and Program Fees
Overview and fees
$20 (nil for high school students)
NO COST (high school students)
$2500 per semester, $5000 full program
$25 per semester
|Credits||Part 1 - 4 credits, Part 2 - 4 credits|
|Additional Costs/Supplies||$50.00 for purchase of uniform. External Hard Drive 500 GB|
|Work Experience||Yes - 4 weeks|
|Program Intakes||February start |