After consultation with Manitoba Education and Public Health officials as well as high school administration, the Louis Riel School Division (LRSD) has decided that all convocation ceremonies will be held outdoors through an individual ceremony. These celebrations may look slightly different from school to school, but each will include the following:
- Each graduate will be individually honoured by receiving a diploma during a scheduled timeslot.
- The graduate’s household can attend the outdoor ceremony by driving up and watching from a safe distance. The graduate can walk up to the staging area to receive their diploma; however, household members must remain in or stand immediately outside the vehicle. Accommodations will be made if your household has additional needs.
- There will be no gathering of groups of students or families from different households. Households will vacate the school premises once their scheduled ceremony ends.
- A commemorative video, including convocation speeches, will be released by each school.
Graduation ceremonies must follow all current public health measures for schools, including:
- ensuring two metres of physical distancing at all times
- ensuring students wear a mask at all times, except if posing for a photograph while fully distanced from the photographer and others
- ensuring staff wear a mask at all times
Additional details, including registration, will be provided by your school’s administration.
I know this is not the graduation ceremony we had hoped for; however, we must ensure all celebrations respect the safety and well-being of students, staff and families while still honouring the hard work, commitment and achievements of the graduating class of 2021.
We will continue to consult with Manitoba Education and Public Health officials on matters related to the pandemic and the planning of graduation/farewell ceremonies specifically.
Stay safe and be well,