School Board Member since 1989
Louise Johnston is a well-known community member in the Louis Riel School Division.
As lifelong residents and graduates from the division, Louise and her family have been active volunteers in both schools and community centres for years. She has proudly served as a School Trustee for more than 20 years, first on the Norwood School Division Board, then on the amalgamated board of Norwood/St. Boniface and now for Louis Riel School Division.
Today, Louise is just as passionate as she was when she first was elected.
Louise is an established leader in Winnipeg’s Human Resource Management and Training Community. She is fluently bilingual in English and French.
An avid volunteer, Louise has contributed to many worthwhile causes in a leadership capacity. In addition to Louise’s considerable work as a School Trustee, she has been a table officer for the Manitoba School Boards Association (MSBA) and currently serves on the MSBA Pension Trustees committee.
Some of Louise's main focuses as a trustee are:
- Advocating equal and fair treatment of all students
- Presenting a strong, bilingual voice in providing increased opportunities for all students
- Advocating for the strengthening of vocational and arts programming
- Supporting Professional Development for all employees of the Louis Riel School Division
- Pursuing increased provincial government financial support for public education while reducing the burden of higher taxes for constituents
Louise makes supporting education a priority. She strongly believes that education is our most powerful tool for making positive changes in the world, and believes that the community must help to educate all children.