Ambitious and necessary investments in the growth of our students and community marked the approved Louis Riel School Division (LRSD) 2016-17 budget.
The LRSD School Board consulted with the community through surveys and public meetings when developing the financial plan, which included:
- Continued focus on LRSD priorities for student learning, academic success, student engagement and active citizenship
- New supports for students with exceptional needs
- A total of 8 full-day Kindergarten classrooms in 4 pilot schools
- Investments to support our community with 2 new Family Centres and additional Community Liaison Workers
- Continued investment in Propel and Fast Forward programming
- Continued commitments to focusing on literacy & numeracy and Indigenous education
- Continued investments in maintenance and repairs to LRSD's aging infrastructure
- Addressing French Immersion growth
- With a student enrollment increase of 197 students, the Division invested in the hiring of 36 new teachers to accommodate population growth, increased programming options, progress towards lower class sizes and retirements.
The total operating budget for 2016-2017 was $177,210,924