LRSD is committed to fostering safe, inviting and inclusive learning environments, and this commitment is reflected in its 2017-2018 budget just passed by the Louis Riel School Board.
The budget continues to invest in students and the community, planning responsibly and finding efficiencies in operations in order to shift resources back into the classroom.
The approved budget was developed in consultation with community members, following the Division's mission to continue building partnerships between home, school and community. The Board and community members, including parents and staff, connected through public meetings and online surveys, allowing them to guide investments in LRSD.
Our students are our community's greatest assets and the 2017-2018 budget includes investments in our students and learning environments.
Budget priorities include:
• Continued focus on student learning, including academic success, student engagement and active citizenship
• Improving supports for students with exceptional needs
• Continuing to keep administration costs down, and increasing resources in schools and classrooms
• Increasing maintenance and repairs to LRSD's aging infrastructure
• Addressing social inequality throughout the division
Student enrolment in the Division continues to increase each year and we must focus on continuing to find ways to support all students while working to keep costs low. We are dedicated to keeping property taxes low while meeting the growing needs of students in the community.
Budget highlights include:
• Making a 2% cut to all budgets not directly related to the classroom
• Hiring 18 new teachers to meet the needs of the growing student population and to help lower class sizes
• Reducing 3 administration positions
• Hiring five additional English as an Additional Language (EAL) teachers and educational assistants (EAs)
• Hiring one additional teacher and two additional EAs for the Indigenous languages program
• Improving Middle Years music, drama and practical arts programming
• Maintaining the full-day kindergarten pilot (8 classrooms in 5 schools)
• Adding additional staffing to support the opening of École Sage Creek School
• Installing air conditioning in all LRSD schools over the next ten years
• Increasing funds to repair and enhance existing school buildings
Investing in LRSD
Total Operating Budget – $184,020,690
Increase of $6,809,764 or 3.84%
Tax increase – 3.89%
$5.93/month or $71.10/year for average LRSD home