Skip to content
  • Special Programs and Off-Campus Credits

    There are many ways to earn credits and earn a high school diploma.  Some of the programs below offer enrichment and alternative ways for students to reach their personal goals.  Feel free to contact Glenlawn Collegiate's Student Services if you need more information.

    Special Programs and ways to obtian credits (on and off campus):

    • Cooperative Education Program (Co-Op)
    • Mature Student Program
    • Louis Riel Arts and Technology (ATC)
    • High School Apprenticeship Program
    • Special Language Credits
    • Community Service (Volunteer) Credit
    • On-Line Courses
    • Private Music Option
    • Cadets
    • Dual Credit Program

    ATC, Louis Riel Arts and Technology Centre:

    The Arts & Technology Centre is an extension of the Louis Riel School Division high schools for grade 11 & 12 students and provides specialized courses and instruction.   Students who choose ATC as part of their high school studies take the majority of their grade 11 & 12 elective courses at ATC and their compulsory courses at their home school.  Students typically attend ATC for one semester in grade 11 for Part 1 of a program and then may return for another semester, in grade 12, to take Part 2 of their program.  Talk to your counsellor about other possible patterns.

    For more information please see information below.

    ATC Website


    Co-Op Education Program:

    This program provides support for students whose academic or personal needs require a modified high school program. The program is divided into academic, life skills, pre-vocational (social and safety) and employment training. All students participate in various community-based, work-experience programs as a part of their program at Glenlawn Collegiate.

    Students graduate with a high school Co-op Education Program diploma. Entrance into this program requires the approval of Glenlawn and LRSD.


    Mature Student Diploma

    This program is intended for a student whose education has been interrupted. To obtain a Mature Student High School Diploma under the Senior 1 to Senior 4 Mature Student Graduation Requirements (2003), a student 

    1. Must be 19 years of age or over at the time of enrolment in school division/district or ALC programming directed at completing the Mature Student Graduation Requirements, or reach the age of 19 before completion of the course(s) in which he or she is enrolled
    2. Must have been out of school six months or more, and out of school long enough for the class, of which he or she was last a member, to have graduated from Senior Years; and\
    3. Has not obtained a high school diploma.


    Persons who meet the above criteria may graduate from high school by obtaining a total of eight high school credits including: 

    • English and Math and two electives at the grade 12 level 
    • Four additional credits at any level (can be previously earned credits) 

    Contact Glenlawn Student Services for more detail.

    High School Apprenticeship Program

    High School Apprenticeship allows students to earn up to eight grade 12 credits by working part time while attending high school. Depending on their school timetable, students may be able to do paid work during the day, evening, or weekends. Summer work is eligible. Students must work a minimum of 110 hours towards apprenticeship in any of the 40 designated trades and obtain a grade of 70% or higher on their evaluation to be eligible to receive one credit. 

    Prerequisites – high school students must have a complete Grade 10 and students must be at least 16 years old.

    Student Responsibilities: 

    • Find an employer willing and able to train an apprentice 
    • Contacts the LRSD apprenticeship coordinator 
    • Works with school to ensure an appropriate timetable is possible

    Once accepted into the program, the student: 

    • Arranges travel to and from work 
    • Maintains all in-school studies and a 70% mark in on-the-job training
    • Informs the employer of any absences 
    • Reports regularly all hours worked to the LRSD apprenticeship coordinator

    If you have any questions regarding eligible jobs and trades or other program details, please contact Mr. Stevens at (204) 237-8951 or

    Special Language Credits 

    Students who are proficient in a language other than English or French may be eligible to write a special language exam to obtain high school credits.  Any student who is interested should contact the Student Services Department.

    Typically, exams take place in the fall and spring. Students will be tested to determine their proficiency in a language, which includes reading, writing, listening and speaking. Based on their exam performance students can earn up to 4 credits towards graduation.



    Community Service Credit 

    Students who complete volunteer time in a community service organization or through a combination of volunteer opportunities may be eligible to obtain a full credit (110 hours) or half credit (55 hours).  Students must receive permission from the school prior to the start of their volunteer experiences and must have their supervisor complete the required forms throughout the volunteer experience.

    Further information is available through the Glenlawn Student Services Department.


    Why Take an Online Course? 

    Various circumstances can make online courses an appropriate option for some students.  You may have a course conflict or a full schedule, or maybe a course is not offered at your home school. Perhaps school absences due to illness/surgery, or elite athletics, have not allowed you to complete courses in a thorough fashion.etc.   Maybe you have realized that you need to change or add a course once the term has already started.

    Am I a candidate for an Online Course? 

    Taking a course online is challenging and requires students to be willing to commit the same amount of time as a face-toface classroom environment. Past experience indicates that to be successful, you should possess the following characteristics:  capable of an appropriate level of independent learning, have excellent time management skills, and have a willingness to contribute to discussions and to share problems and opinions online.

    Students who are interested in learning more about on-line courses are asked to contact Glenlawn's Student Services Department.


    Private Music Electives

    Students who are taking private music lessons, from the Royal Conservatory of Music of Toronto or from Conservatory Canada, may obtain credit(s) by submitting theory and practical exam results, to the Student Services Department.  Credits are assigned according to Department of Education requirements that are found here.  

    Private Music Electives.



    Although credits may be earned through membership in the Army, Navy or Air Cadets, the credits are in addition to the 30 required for graduation.  They are not counted towards the 30 required.


    Dual Credit Courses

    Fast Forward is a unique opportunity for Louis Riel high school students to earn university and college credits in partnership with University of Winnipeg, Université de Saint-Boniface, Red River College, and the University of Manitoba while they are still in high school. These courses are free and are considered dual credits; they count for high school graduation and university or college credit with our partner institutions. 

    Dual Credit courses will: 

    • Follow Canadian university or college curriculum
    • Be taught by university or college accredited professors/instructors
    • Be recognized by Canadian universities and colleges 

     When can students begin Dual credit courses? 

    University or college course work can begin in Grade 12. Students must have completed 22 high school credits (maintaining a 70% academic average), completed at least one 40S credit or in consultation with/or at the school’s discretion. 

     When are courses? 

    Second semester (February to June) 

    Is there a cost for Dual credit courses? 

    The only cost will be the registration fee for the post-secondary institution (approximately $80). Course enrolment is free (costs are covered by the Louis Riel School Division) and represents a significant cost reduction to a student’s post-secondary program

    Can students withdraw from the course if they find it is not for them? 

    University or college transcripts will not include courses from which students withdraw two weeks prior to the final exam. 

     What courses will be offered? 

    Calculus 42U (U. of M. Calculus: Math 1500, 3 credit hrs.)
    Prerequisite: Pre-Calculus Math 40S (recommend 70% or higher) Currently offered at Dakota Collegiate

    The first half of this course will be devoted to Introduction to Calculus 45S. The second half of this course will be devoted to Advanced Math 45S. The intent of this course is to provide students with the opportunity to challenge the University of Manitoba, Introduction to Calculus, Math 1500 course and receive university credit. This course will introduce all key aspects of introductory calculus and provide students with excellent background knowledge and exam preparation. For students not challenging the university exam, the course will allow them to gain awareness and an introduction of the material before attempting calculus in university.
    The University of Manitoba requires that students achieve a mark of at least 85% in Pre-Calculus Math 40S before the challenge exam can be attempted. The university midterm exam will be written in October, and the final exam will be written in December. The total cost to challenge the exam is covered by The Louis Riel School Division. The portion of that total which is dedicated as an admission fee is non-refundable. The fees for international students will be higher.
    All students passing the high school portion of the course will receive one full high school credit. Students receive one half credit in Introduction to Calculus 45S and a second half credit in Advanced Math 45S. Students who successfully challenge the university exam will receive one half university credit (3 credit hours) from the U. of M.