Music is a unique and powerful form of expression and human beings are universally responsive to its power. It conveys ideas and feelings that transcend language, unifies people, and defines cultures. Music is an integral part of a well-rounded education. It stimulates and enriches the mind and the emotions. The goal of the Division's music programs is to provide each student with the opportunity to learn to appreciate, create, and express him or herself through musical experiences. Every person has musical potential to develop.
The goal of our music programs is to develop a musically literate society that recognizes and values the contribution that music makes to the development and quality of life for the individual and society.
Sequence of Learning
Music in the early years provides children with a multi-activity approach to acquiring basic literacy, performance and appreciation skills. During the middle years, the sequential development of these skills is continued and constantly reinforced through the study of a more specialized performance area. In the Senior Years, students who choose to continue their musical studies have the opportunity to achieve a high standard of performance while expanding their musical literacy and theoretical knowledge.
Summary of Learning Objectives
- To develop a comprehension of the elements and structure of music.
- To provide the opportunity to perform music, individually and in ensembles.
- To cultivate an appreciation for music as an expression of human experience.
- To make aesthetic judgments based on critical listening and analysis.
- To nurture the creative potential in students.
- To develop a commitment to music as an enrichment for personal community life.
- To provide a foundation for those who wish to pursue music as a profession