Happy Manitoba School Library Day 2020! Bonne Journée des bibliothèques scolaires du Manitoba 2020!
The Honourable Kelvin Goertzen, Minister of Education and Training has proclaimed Oct. 26, as Manitoba School Library Day/Journée des bibliothèques scolaires du Manitoba.
The 2020 theme for Manitoba School Library Day is "A Day in the Library Learning Commons," which resonates with the commitment of LRSD school libraries to our four priorities outlined in our Multi-Year Strategic Plan: Belonging, Mastery, Independence and Generosity.
Our LRSD teacher-librarians, library assistants and technicians:
- Create a culture of equity and inclusion through the Library Learning Commons whereby we ensure that resources, programs and staff qualified in librarianship are accessible to all and that all students and staff see themselves represented in both print and digital collections.
- Create a culture of learning and well-becoming through the Library Learning Commons whereby we foster learning as a lifestyle and nurture curiosity, creativity and critical thinking as an essential part of experiencing and enjoying a meaningful life.
- Create a culture of inquiry and responsibility through the Library Learning Commons whereby we promote the acquisition of information literacy skills to develop self-confidence and to how we value learning as a lifelong journey.
- Create a culture of caring and collaboration through the Library Learning Commons whereby we show care and concern for others, as we learn and work together.
On Oct. 26, and throughout the school year, we proudly recognize our division's ongoing investment in the value of the Library Learning Commons and the dedicated work of all library assistants, technicians and teacher-librarians. School library personnel have a critical role to play in engaging and supporting students and staff in both literacy and learning, as the Library Learning Commons becomes integrated into both the intellectual and cultural life of our schools and our communities.
"My hope is that, by celebrating Manitoba School Library Day, it will provide teachers and students with an opportunity to acknowledge the important role school libraries play in the academic and cultural lives of our students."
- The Honourable Kelvin Goertzen, Minister of Education and Training